We have experimented while making the Twix bars by using coconut flour for the base. It was delicious but did not taste like a Twix bar. It tasted like something else, but it was pretty delicious. Using coconut oil and coconut flour for the base, while gluten-free and tasty, didn’t equal shortbread. We associated Twix bars with the crunch of a shortbread base and had to do it that way. It was either shortbread or nothing. So we made the shortbread crust, stifled in caramel, and then added melted vegan chocolate on top. It is easy to make shortbread. All you need to do is add all-purpose flour, salt, and sugar to the mixing bowl and then vegan butter in it. Mix it with your fingers until the batter becomes crumbly textured. Then make it into a dough. Place parchment paper on a loaf pan so that it has an overhang on each side. Press the shortbread into the loaf pan in an even layer. Then bake it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes until it becomes light brown on the top and the sides. Let it cool before adding the layer of caramel.
You can make your own vegan caramel sauce. Take some melted coconut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract, whisk them together, and pour it over the shortbread base. Then put it in the freezer to set down.
A quick tip- Do not leave it in the freezer for a long time. It would be best if you had a hard caramel but not a brittle shortbread. If you keep it in the freezer for a long time, the shortbread will become brittle and start breaking into pieces when you try to cut it down into bars.
Check the freezer if the caramel has been set or not. If it is set, then take out the shortbread and caramel from the loaf pan with the help of overhand parchment paper. Cut it into bars carefully to minimize the breakage. And do not panic if that happens. Melt some vegan chocolate and mix it in coconut oil. Then dip the bars into the chocolate and place it on the parchment-lined baking tray. You can sprinkle the remaining chocolate on the top of the bars after dipping them into chocolate. Then put them in the freezer to set.
You are going to love these Twix bars. Its super crunchy shortbread base, creamy caramel, and chocolate topping make it a huge treat.
For the Shortbread Base:
- 1 cup (125g) All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 1/4 cup (50g) Sugar
For the Caramel:
- 1/2 cup (120ml) melted Coconut Butter
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Chocolate Topping:
- 2 and 1/4 cups (400g) Vegan Chocolate (Chopped) or you can also use Vegan Chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celcius and spray the loaf pan with a non-stick spray, and put a parchment paper in a way that it is left overhang on each side.
- Filter the flour into a mixing bowl. Add sugar and salt to it. Then add some vegan butter and mix it using your fingers until it is crumbly and then form it into a dough.
- Place the dough into the pan on the parchment paper evenly.
- Cook it into the oven for 20 minutes until it becomes light brown on the top and the sides. Let it cool completely before you add caramel to it.
- Add some melted coconut butter into the bowl and then the maple syrup and vanilla extract and whisk it well. Pour it over the shortbread base evenly and place it in the freezer to let it cool.
- When the caramel becomes firm, take out the shortbread and caramel from the loaf pan with the help of the overhang parchment paper.
- Cut it into the bars and place them on a parchment-lined baking tray.
- Melt the vegan chocolate in the microwave. Stop it every 30 seconds and stir it until it is completely melted. Stir in the coconut oil.
- Dip the Twix bars into the melted chocolate and then place them on the parchment-lined baking tray. Be careful and do it a little quickly so that the warm chocolate does not break the bars.
- After dipping the bars into the chocolate, you can sprinkle the remaining chocolate on top of the bars and then let them set into the fridge.
- When it is all set, transfer the bars into an air-tight container and store them in the refrigerator.
Notes to remember
- Use coconut butter in the recipe. The best possible way to melt the coconut butter is to place the container of the butter into a bowl of hot water. Stir the butter continuously until it melts completely.
- You can make your shortbread and caramel at home with the help of some recipes.