Lexus has redefined its core model RX to stay in the race for midsize SUVs. Lexus has upgraded the interior and introduced a range of electric powertrain options to complete its “Lexus electrified” goal, which they committed in 2019.
Lexus’s thirty-plus-year-old Toyota luxury vehicle division revealed his fifth-generation 5-seat RX model 2023 on June 1. Developed under ‘Lexus Driving Signature’, first seen in Lexus IS 2021 model, the car will provide greater body rigidity and superior suspension. The model’s price is still under guesses which will be disclosed when it goes for sale at the December end of this year.
Main features of the 2023 Lexus RX Model
• It has a Spindle body design, and the bonnet has been fused with the Lexus logo giving it an attractive look.
• Slimmer and Sharper Headlamps and boomerang shaped LED lights which we can find in all Lexus cars
• Wheel comes in 19-inch and 21-inch sizes.
• Rear overhang has been shortened by 2.36 inches to compensate for an increase of the same amount in wheelbase.
• Wide taillight curved around its side with Lexus Insignia in the centre symbolizes its L shaped logo.
“A powerful blend of Tazuna cockpit design and luxury SUV spaciousness with materials like high-quality leathers and Takumi crafted suede embossed with the Lexus’ L’ is precisely the kind of bespoke look we were looking for while designing this new interior,” stated Jota Kusakari, Interior Designer of Lexus RX 2023 model.
• 2023 model has 2.36 inches longer wheelbase compared to its previous models providing ample legroom.
• Lexus has removed the touchpad control and has added the touchscreen-based infotainment system.
• Tazuna cockpit concept earlier introduced in Lexus NX and Lexus RZ has been adopted for the newly RX 2023 model.
• Seat sides have been made concave in shape to provide excellent comfort.
•’Lexus Mood Selector’ features allow choosing from RX’s ambient lighting from 14 themes and 64 colour palettes.
• Fascinating change in the new RX is the animal-free leather interior covering all seats, steering wheel and shift knob.
• New E-latch system assists in smooth door operation.
Multimedia and Connectivity
•The new Lexus RX model features a 14-inch touchscreen which is undoubtedly one of the largest in its segment.
•HD Graphics with an anti-glare screen and faster CPU.
•Multimedia System has been upgraded with intelligent voice assistant ‘Hey Lexus’ with better language response.
•Standard Wireless Apple CarPlay and wired Android Auto integration
•Wireless charging tray with 50 per cent more charging speed.
•Regular Lexus navigation system along with RX cloud services.
•Hybrid Coaching, Fuel level Monitor
•Embedded with new 21-Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound Audio optimized with the car’s interior architecture.
Newly revealed 2023 RX model would have
Third generation Lexus Safety System+ suite.
• Improved Advanced Parking Assistance system helps with parallel, back-up, forward-facing parking.
• Forward collision detection system with automatic emergency braking, including Emergency Steering Assist to avoid any impact.
• Curve speed management assisted by all-speed adaptive cruise control upgraded with Lane Trace Assist.
• Other feature includes Driver Monitoring and Head-up Display.
• Safe Exit Assist Function connected to the car’s blind spot monitor to provide safer exits after opening the door.
• Built-in Digital Panoramic View Monitor provides live 360˚ view for easy manoeuvre in confined space.
New Lexus RX has four new powertrain options. RX500h performance hybrid is the first-ever turbocharged hybrid car produced by Lexus. The other variant, RX450h+, is a plug-in hybrid. Plug-in hybrid helps running for short distances on all-electric power mode before switching to the regular hybrid function with a gasoline engine.
The most highlighting feature of Lexus RX 2023 is that it has been equipped with drive force technology DIRECT4, which was earlier seen in Lexus RZ 450e.
As per Lexus
As per Lexus
|2023 Lexus RX 350||FWD or AWD, eight-speed automatic transmission||2.4-litre turbocharged inline four-cylinder||275 hp/317 lb-ft||24 mpg combined (est.)||7.5 seconds (FWD), 7.2 seconds (AWD) (Lexus est.)|
|2023 Lexus RX 350h Hybrid||AWD, CVT automatic||2.5-litre inline four-cylinder hybrid system||246 hp/233 lb-ft||33 mpg combined (est.)||7.4 seconds (Lexus est.)|
|Lexus RX 450 h+ Plug-in Hybrid||Details yet to be shared by Lexus||2.5-litre inline four-cylinder hybrid||306 hp||Details yet to be shared by Lexus||7 seconds (Lexus est.)|
|2023 Lexus RX 500h F sport Performance Hybrid||AWD, six-speed automatic transmission||2.4-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder hybrid system||367 hp/406 lb-ft||26 mpg combined (est.)||5.9 seconds (Lexus est.)|
Is it worth the hype?
Lexus faces tough competition with luxury SUVs like Acura MDX, Lincoln Nautilus, BMW X5, and Infiniti QX60. But the first impression appears to be optimistic. The introduction of DIRECT4 in the new Lexus proves that the company wants to win big in the midsize crossover SUV segment. Lexus 500h could be a game-changer as it is their first-ever turbocharged hybrid, and it may attract customers craving high-end electric performance.