It goes without saying that allowing your child to travel alone might be frightening. However, the United airlines unaccompanied minor policy ensures that your child is in good hands and gets to their destination in total comfort and safety.
Working parents find it tough when their children want to attend summer camp or even just visit their relatives, but the parents are unable to accompany them. Due to the environment’s high level of security, this is the ideal mode of transportation for children. Your child will travel with an attendant who will be with them the entire time and assist them with any necessary tasks.
What is United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy?
The unaccompanied minor service is available for kids between 5-14 years. But youngsters of age 15-17 also tend to take this service. Here is some important thing to know when applying for Unaccompanied minor service.
- The policy is only applicable for a nonstop flight, it does apply to connecting flights.
- If the kid is under the age of 5, they do not qualify for this program. They must travel with at least an 18-year-old.
- If the youngster is 15-17, they can travel without this service. But if the parents want, they can still opt for it and get the same benefits.
United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Fee Structure
Two kids are charged $150 in accordance with United Airlines’ unaccompanied minor policy. Keep in mind that this is only a one-way price; the table below shows the amount based on the number of children traveling.
In the United Airlines unaccompanied minors program, a fee is added on top of the ticket price. Since the child will get care from the beginning to the finish of the tour. From the moment they arrive at the airport until they depart, they will be attended to.
|The number of Unaccompanied Minors||Fess For One Way Flight||Fees For Roundtrip|
Unaccompanied Minor ID Requirements
According to united airlines policy, minors of age 5-14 are not required to submit any kind of documents, but they are requested to carry one for their own safety. However, youngsters of age 15-17 who are traveling in this program are required to submit any one of the following documents.
- School ID
- Library Card
- Driver’s License
- Employee ID
- Birth Certificate
- Credit Card
- Social Security Card
- Proof of auto insurance
Unaccompanied Minor Travel Process
To understand the smooth functioning of this program, we have listed everything that the child will encounter during their journey and some tips that will make this journey a worthwhile experience for the kid.
How to Book a Flight for Unaccompanied Minors from United Airlines?
There are two ways you can book minor tickets
Online: Visit united.com
- Choose the travel destination and click on the advance search option.
- Then choose the age of your kid and the number of kids traveling.
- Finally, select the flight and check out from the page after making the payments
Over the phone: Like any other booking, you can contact the reservation center and apply for booking the tickets the only drawback is that over the phone, $25 extra will be charged for booking a minor ticket.
- Also, the airline should be aware of who is dropping the kid off at the airport.
- The airline will choose the seat for the child for better assistance from the cabin crew.
- The seat cannot be changed after 48 hours of booking the ticket.
- If any changes have to be made, you can contact the airlines directly. Make sure you make those changes well before departure.
United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Checklist before Departure
It is mandatory for the guardian/parent to accompany the child to the airport. You must arrive at least an hour before a domestic flight and 3 hours before any international flights as there are more procedures to follow on international flights.
The procedure for boarding includes:
Check-in: the online check-in policy of united airlines is not applicable for minors they are required to go through the check-in counter at the airport.
- The airport will confirm the details of the guardians/ parents designated for the kid and register that on the reservation details.
- The minor will be offered a wristband and a bag tag so that the airport staff can identify that they are traveling alone
- An envelope is provided at the airport so that the kid can manage the documents easily and use them whenever required.
- The designated adult will receive a special phone number. Through which they can get details of the child at any point in time.
Passing through Security: After all the check-in procedure is completed, the parents/guardians will be given a pass to accompany the child to pass through the gate. They will also meet the airline staff and inform them about the unaccompanied minor.
United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Checklist at Arrival
An attendant would accompany the child to the exit and drop them to the designated parent/guardian once the flight has arrived.
- To meet their child at the security gate, parents or guardians must first obtain their escort permit at the airline’s check-in desk.
- You must pick up the unaccompanied youngster outside the baggage claim area if they are traveling from an airport outside of the United States and require a customs or immigration process.
What do parents ask about united airlines unaccompanied minors?
At United Airlines, it is not possible to avoid minor fees as they are accompanied by an attendant at every stage from check-in to arrival till they meet the parent/guardian at arrival they are accompanied.
The majority of airlines classify everyone between the ages of 2 and 11 as a kid. Children must have a seat reserved for them, however, in most circumstances, the cost of a child’s ticket is between 25% and 33% less than the cost of an adult ticket.
According to united airlines policy, kids aged 5-14 do not require any documents but youngsters from 15-17 need to submit documents. However, it is suggested that kids between 5-14 should carry documents for their own identification and safety.
According to united airlines policy, the parent/guardian is supposed to be with the kid ill check-in, and then they will receive a pass until they meet an attendant and inform them that the kid is an unaccompanied minor.
Do you know more