How many times have you heard this phrase, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”? Well, I have heard it thousands of time. Did you know this original phrase was “Eat an apple on going to bed, and you will keep the doctor from earning his bread”? Which in the early 20th century was rephrased to “An apple a doctor, no doctor to pay” and “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”. (By Taggart)
Taggart also explained that the advantage of this phrase is the simplicity and cleanliness it carries. Where one line is enough to say a strong thing. He further added that most proverbs have indirect meaning but, this odd proverb means exactly what is said. The phrase has still not loosened the charm, and I guess we might end up telling the same phrase to our next generation. Since the phrase came into notice, a lot of research and studies have been identifying all the health benefits of apples and seeking if apples can make you avoid visits to the doctor.
In Ohio State University, back in 2012, a study was performed, that revealed that intakes an apple a day show beneficial changes in your body. The study revealed, that Apples help to lower level of bad cholesterol (especially in Middle-aged people). A similar study conducted in 2011 in Dutch said, Having apples and pears help in preventing strokes. Now that we gained some knowledge regarding the background of the phrase. Let’s, understand the elements present in apples.
Is Eating Apples Highly Beneficial?
- Filled with essential nutrients, Apples include vitamins, antioxidants, and fibre.
- Go by the Phrase ” An apple a day keeps the doctor away”, let’s know how much nutrients does on medium apple carries.
- Vitamin K: 3% of the Daily Value(DV)
- Potassium: 4% of the DV
- Vitamin C: 9% of the DV (Vitamin C behaves as an antioxidant and neutralizes harmful free radicals compounds in the body and protects it against diseases)
- Copper: 5% of the DV
- Fibre: 4.5 grams
- Carbs: 25g
- Calories: 95
What health benefits do apples carry?
- Promotes heart health
- Helps in weight loss (Because they are high in fibre and water)
- Improves your bone health.
- Supports your brain functioning.
- Protects you against Asthma. (Apples have antioxidant chemicals and our skin has flavonoid quercetin, which lowers the risk of Asthma.)
- Apples reduce the risk of diabetes.
- This fruit also carries cancer-fighting compounds. (Apply are linked with plant compounds in a way that lowers the risk of cancer)
- An apple equals 1.5 cups of fruit juice.
- Apples carry a kind of fibre that nourishes the good bacteria present in our intestines.
- Apple juice also carries a lot of benefits that include age-related mental decline.
- Apples carry Pre-Biotic effects and support good gut bacteria.
- Apples protect our body against Stomach injury from NSAIDs.
Are people still buying by this phrase ( An Apple a Day, Keeps Doctor Away)?
Where, facts stand true that apples have a lot of benefits, and they may help you avoid visiting a doctor. But, these days healthy diet that helps you not see a doctor, requires eating at least five portions of vegetable and fruits together(80gm each), not only an apple.
Any Downsides of eating Apples?
Doing/eating anything too much is not great for our body, even if it contains good things. Apples contain a high amount of fibre, which is beneficial for us. But, consuming too much fibre can result in the body into gas, stomach ache and bloating.
Morover, People who control how much carb to intake in the body in a single day; needs to know that one single apple carries 25gms of carbs. Eating a handful of apples is better than overeating it. Here is how experts and doctors think about the phrase “An Apple a Day, Keeps the Doctor Away“.