What is happening in Antarctica and, why should we worry? Antarctica glaciers are crying their way to the oceans, and this speedy and unstoppable liquifying of its glaciers can only come to an end if some fast measures occur.
Antarctica, unlike the Arctic, has vast reserves of ice on land, not floating in the sea. Antarctica estimates to hold 26.5 cubic kilometres of water, and if this starts melting and flowing into the waters, the sea levels will rise by an incredible 58m.
What will it cost to Nature if Antarctica keeps on melting?
Antarctica’s rapid glacialmelt influences ocean currents, as heavy amounts of very chilled glacial-melt sea entering warmer ocean waters make the ocean currents slow.
As the ice starts to melt on the land, the sea levels start increasing rapidly.
Yes, we are considering that most of our biggest cities located next to a sea, having them inundated by even a fraction of this amount would be disastrous. Another point is the as yet unknown effect of all this fresh, cold water would have on the oceanic currents, which are entangled intimately with the worldwide weather patterns. If you think that the weather is getting crazy now, then you’ve got another thing coming if this is allowed to happen.
Why are glaciers important?
Ice performs like a shielding over the Earth and our oceans. These bright white points indicate excess heat into space and keep the planet cooler. According to the tp hypothesis, the Arctic stays colder than the equator because so more heat coming from the sun reflects off the ice back into space.
For decades now, studies have been going on how glacials ranging from ice that is several a hundred to several thousand years old prove how they have affected climate change over time. What their studies told us gave us good knowledge about the extent to which our planet is rapidly warming.
Today, we have about 10% of Earth’s Land area that glacial ice covers. Almost 90% of that area occupies Antarctica, while the other rest, 10%, is in the Greenland icecap.
What is making Antarctica cry?
The Carbon Polluters. Carbon Polutters are causing way much more damage to Nature than we even know. If the world’s largest carbon polluters don’t stop what they are doing to Nature, a lot worse can happen. The carbon polluters need to cut down their emissions because, if they won’t, the antarctic glacier ice melting will speed up to the extent, resulting in an unstoppable sea-level rise for the year to come.
What solution are different nations aiming to take?
About 200 nations have sent out their emission reductions targets( Nationally Determined Contributions) Under the Pariz agreement. But, while the
While we need global warming to be limited to 3.6 Degrees Fahrenheit(2-degree Celcius), the Paris accord only promises to lower the global warning down to just 5.4 degrees Fahrenheit(2-degree Celsius) this year.
Worldwide leaders, including Joe Biden, announced their mission to reduce their emission reduction rate to meet the Paris temperature targets last month.
Journal Nature published research on Wednesday that showcased how much of a contrast is hitting those ends to make a substantial gigantic ice layer for the Earth.
What can we do?
So, if we achieve the target of reducing the emissions and make not to cross two °C global warmings, then Antarctica will lose ice firmly during the 21st century.
But, if the world still stays on the path we are at right now and keeps exceeding two °C, Antarctica might encounter an unforeseen hike in melting and ice loss around 2060, nearly multiplying its contribution sea-level increase over 2100.
What mother nature has given us cannot be compared or replaced by any human-made thing or system. So, let us try our part of the effort and let us try to save our mother nature and help it not collapse—everything we are doing to make our favorite equipment or buildings and make mother nature lose itself. Let us try stopping all these carbon polluter processes and make Earth a place to live.